Ben Rousseau a multi-disciplined designer, award winning artist and engineer, fascinated by technology, and the complex pattern and geometry occurring in nature. A diverse portfolio of work contains everything from artworks, sculpture and installations to furniture, vehicles and interiors that often fuse an interest in lighting, modern materials and precision manufacturing.Growing up in the UK’s oldest town (as a byproduct) Rousseau was drawn to anything futuristic, and modern from a young age. Earning a degree in Product Design and Management, Rousseau began his career creating illuminated sculptures and furniture designs.
Rousseau Design was founded in 2001 after being invited by Max Fraser to join the Design UK stand at Designers Block in London and Milan. As well as furniture Ben’s early career saw him creating stage and lighting displays for commercial events for clients such as Destiny’s Child and Xbox, to this day, the same sense of theatre and dramatic narrative is behind his creative philosophy.
A love of sci-fi movie sets and automotive design is a source of inspiration for Ben’s work, which regularly pushes the limits of technology, materials and manufacturing techniques, picking up some prestigious awards in the process. Ben and his work are regularly featured in the media, with IDFX magazine hailing Ben as one of “the” new designers to keep a close eye on.
Rousseau Design focuses on four core areas of work:
Commercial & Corporate: Creating dramatic effects within commercial spaces, through individually designed and manufactured installations, often combined with cutting-edge use of lighting technology.
Residential & Domestic: Adding the “wow” factor to high-end residential properties through the innovative use of lighting, its intelligent control and the way it is combined with materials and furniture design.
Product Design: A range of lighting and furniture pieces, individually designed and manufactured to the highest standards by Ben Rousseau, available to order.
Collectables: A range of collectable limited editions items available through London Connoisseur in the UK.
Awards & Notable Projects:
- Gold Medal at the prestigious Chelsea Flower show with his infinity light tunnel in the “Minds Eye” Garden for the RNBI by LDC
- Exhibited work at the V&A Museum in collaboration with Architect Ian Douglas-Jones as a headline project for the London design festival curated by Arts – Co
- Illuminated metal sculptures in New York
- Represented the UK at the world fire sculpting competition in Riga, Latvia
- Regular trips to the Ice Hotel, in Jukkasjarvi, Sweden
- Displays of his work at Aynhoe Park during “The Modern Grand Tour”
- The most recent show of his Illuminated timepiece collection Tempus was at Maison et Object in Paris, January 2017.
Ben now splits his time between Silicon Valley, California and London.For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1650 483 424